After having endured the long, cold winter months, summer has finally come around. The last thing you want to be dealing with is unwanted guests in and around your home. There are many simple things that you, as a homeowner, can do in order to maintain control and keep pest away from your home.
- The sanitation of your home, indoor and outdoor, plays a major role in whether or not pests are going to stick around. Throwing out old food such as overripe fruits and vegetables that have been sitting on your counter for quite a while, taking out the garbage when there begins to be a foul odour and sweeping up the floors regularly are just a handful of examples in maintaining good sanitation in your home.
- Keeping your backyard in good order also plays a large role in keeping pest away. Overgrowth of your garden, trees and grass will result in the ideal hiding places for a variety of pests.
- Do not make it easy for pests to have access to the inside of your home. Ensure that there are no gaps or holes in the windows and doors. If all is properly sealed, it makes it very difficult for any kind of pest to gain access to your home.
- When serving guests outdoors, it is best to keep food covered or in sealed containers. The scents of the delicious snacks you are serving are surely going to attract little critters, specifically ants.
- Avoid drinking from cans when you are outside. There is no way for you to see if something has snuck inside while you weren’t looking. Always pour your canned drink into a cup, preferably clear, to avoid getting stung by something you could not see.
- Leaving pools of standing water around your home is surely going to attract mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are not only a nuisance, but they also impose a health risk. The West Nile Virus is carried and transmitted by these biting insects, for more information on how to take further precautions and the importance of them, please click here.